Acts: The Spread of the Gospel

This study is taken from John MacArthur's "Acts: The Spread of the Gospel." My prayer and goal for this devo is that we will learn more about how the early church laid the foundation for what we possess today, and that we would allow God to use us to turn our world upside for Him!

This will be an exciting journey, so encourage others to join you! I'm looking forward to the interaction we will have on this blog as we study the book of Acts!

The devos will differ in format from day to day, but two things are constant: 1) a daily reading, and 2) additional Scripture passages that are in bold. Be sure to read any and all of the readings/bold verses that appear so that you can see the full picture of what is taught that day.

Remember, you can access any of the previous devos that have been posted from the "Blog Archive" section on the left side of this page.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Two Witnesses - Part 6 - Devo for 02/21/2009

Reading
Revelation 10:1-11:19

Truth for Today
As an exile on the island of Patmos, John had no opportunity to preach to all nations. But John recorded these prophecies to warn all sinners that, while judgment is presently restrained, a future day is coming when the seventh angel will sound his trumpet and sin's dominion will be broken. In that day the freedom of Satan and his demons will come to an end, godless men will be judged, and believers will be glorified. These chapters present an interlude of hope tinged with bitterness that reminds all Christians of their evangelistic responsibilities to warn the world of that day.

Reflecting on the Text
1. In his vision, John ate the "little book" and it was both bitter and sweet to him. In what ways is what you're studying bitter and sweet to you?

2. John's calling to tell the world all that had been revealed to him is reminiscent of the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20). How passionate are you about sharing God's truth with family members, friends, neighbors, and coworkers? What keeps you from being a more active witness for Christ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. It is bitter because it talks about all the punishment and suffering that many people will have to undergo. People who don't accept Jesus as their savior, but also sweet because it tells me about all the rewards that God will give me and how we are going to live with Christ forever.

2. Sometimes I;m not very passionate about this. I sometimes get distracted with other things or sometimes due to the fear of rejection I don't speak to others about this.

taye:) said...

1. It is sweet because it tells of when Christians will be brought up to be with the Lord but is bitter because all the people who come to know Christ after His first coming will have to go through pain and suffering(and even Christians in this day have to suffer pain).

2. Well, I think that sometimes I am afraid to tell them, but sometimes I am afraid, but still tell. Just, I guess, my human nature. I think sometimes they'll laugh at me or call me stupid, but usually, in other situations, I could care less if they laughed at me.